Cherry and Almond Low Fat Muffins
These muffins have are wheat free, dairy free,
are low in saturated fat, and very low in
cholesterol. The use of butter, as in many muffin recipes, is replaced
by canola oil and apple sauce. Egg whites are used instead of whole eggs
and rice flour is used as a substitute for wheat flour. Low fat soy milk
is used instead of milk.
At the moment Mum isn't just dieting, she is also doing
2 week detox which cuts out wheat and dairy products, hence a few special
recipes. (See also Mango and White Chocolate,
wheat free and low fat)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup of almond meal (ground almonds)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup chopped and pitted cherries
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- Heat the oven on 200°C . Brush oil on only the base of 14 muffin
tins (normal size) or 8 large ones or line with paper cases.
- Mix the flour, almond meal and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the cherries and sugar, mix well and make a well in the centre.
- In another bowl mix the apple sauce, milk, eggs and oil.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones all at once. Using a fork,
stir and fold the ingredients together only until it is all wet, it
doesn't even matter if there are small areas of flour about. Do not
over mix it.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins, and bake for approximately 20
-25 minutes for normal size. They are ready when turning golden brown
and a skewer comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a wire rack to cool.