Mango and White Chocolate Low Fat Muffins
These muffins have are wheat free, are low in
saturated fat, and very low in cholesterol. The use of butter, as in many
muffin recipes, is replaced by canola oil and apple sauce. Egg whites
are used instead of whole eggs and rice flour is used as a substitute
for wheat flour. They also have very little dairy.
At the moment Mum isn't just dieting, she is also doing
2 week detox which cuts out wheat and dairy products, hence a few special
recipes. (See also Cherry and Almond muffins,
wheat free, dairy free and low fat)
- 2 cups rice flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- Heat the oven on 200°C . Brush oil on only the base of 12 muffin
tins (normal size) or line with paper cases.
- Mix the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the choc chips, mango and sugar, mix well and make a well in the
- In another bowl mix the apple sauce, milk, eggs and oil.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones all at once. Using a fork,
stir and fold the ingredients together only until it is all wet, it
doesn't even matter if there are small areas of flour about. Do not
over mix it.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins, and bake for approximately 20
-25 minutes for normal size. They are ready when turning golden brown
and a skewer comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a wire rack to cool.