Spinach and Feta Muffins
These savory muffins are so good! There are creamy
cubes of feta cheese just waiting to burst on your taste buds. Teen girl
of the taste test team tried to steal them all! Mum put some nutmeg in
because her Grandmother taught her to use it to make spinach or silverbeet
taste a little better. She also used baby spinach in this batch but you
caould use normal spinach too.
- 1 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup of wholemeal flour
- 2 tblsn caster sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups chopped spinach (or baby spinach)
- 160 grams feta cheese cut into 1/2 inch (1cm) cubes
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup of butter, melted
the oven to 200°C . Prepare 12 regular muffin tins by brushing the
bases with oil or line with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, nutmeg and baking powder in a bowl. Mix in the spinach,
sugar and feta.
- In another bowl mix the egg, milk, and butter.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and fold lightly with a
fork. Do not over mix.. it just has to be wet mostly through.
- Spoon into muffin tins.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until just starting to brown
and a skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a wire rack to cool.