Apple and Walnut Muffins
These fruit muffins have a lovely texture combination
with the walnuts added. I think the taste of apples combined with walnuts and
spices is just so comforting. It reminds me of simpler days and a country kitchen.
- 2 cups plain Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped apple (usually 1 apple)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- Heat the oven on 200°C . Brush oil on only the base of 12 muffin
tins (or 6 Texas ones).
- Sift the flour, bicarb, spices and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the apple, walnuts and sugar, mix well and makea well in the centre.
- In another bowl mix the milk, egg and butter.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones all at once. Using a fork,
stir and fold the ingredients together only until it is all wet, it
doesn't even matter if there are small areas of flour about. Do not
over mix, this is the main secret of good muffins!
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins, filling them about 2/3rds and
bake for approximately 20 -25 minutes for normal size and around 10
mins longer for texas size. They are ready when turning golden brown
and a skewer comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a wire rack to cool.