Brandied Apple and Walnut Muffins
Mum likes a little drink so its no wonder that
sometimes it ends up in the muffins! In fact these muffins were born one
night as she stood at the pantry, a little tipsy from red wine, wondering
what muffins she could make in the morning. Well there were dried apples
left from a recent hiking trip and she had noticed some brandy earlier
while getting her wine. The apples got a good soaking in brandy overnight
and Mum... well almost the same.
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 2 tblsn caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chopped dried apple
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup of butter, melted
few hours before or preferably overnight leave the apples to soak in
- Preheat the oven to 200°C . Prepare 12 regular muffin tins by
brushing the bases with oil.
- Sift the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Mix in the sugar and walnuts,
then make a well in the middle.
- In another bowl mix the egg, milk, and butter. Stir in the apple with
any brandy that is left from soaking it.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and fold lightly with a
fork. Do not over mix.. it just has to be wet mostly through.
- Spoon into muffin tins, filling each one about two-thirds.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until just starting to brown
and a skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a wire rack to cool.