These Christmas muffins are a little bit Grandmas
Christmas cake, a little plum pudding and just too yummy! If you are opting
for a simpler dinner this season why not make these as the dessert? They
would also be fantastic for a Christmas picnic or breakfast.
- 1 3/4 cups Plain flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brandy or sherry
- 1 cup of dried mixed fruit
- 1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup of glace cherries (if large chop in half)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 125g of butter, melted
- Soak the mixed fruit in brandy or sherry for at least 2 hours or overnight
if you are so inclined (like Mum).
- Preheat the oven to 200°C . Prepare 12 muffin tins by brushing
the bases with oil or lining with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a bowl and stir
in the sugar, nuts and cherries.
- Mix the egg, butter and milk in another bowl. Stir in the fruit and
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mix and fold in with a fork. Do
not over mix.. it has to be JUST mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the tins. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes.
They are ready when a skewer comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a wire rack to cool.