Coffee and Hazelnut Muffins
These muffins came about when I asked what my
husband what he would like in some muffins I was about to bake him. He
said coffee and as I thought they needed something with a bit more substance
as well I added the nuts.
- 2 cups SR Flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup roughly chopped hazelnuts
- 8 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
- Heat up the oven to 200°C . Brush only the bases of 12 muffin
tins with oil.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the 1 cup of hazelnuts and
- Use just enough boiling water to dissolve the coffee and then mix
it with the milk in another bowl.
- Mix the egg and butter into the milk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour and fold in with a fork. Do not
over mix.. it just has to be wet mostly through. This is how nice and
light muffins are made!
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins, filling them about 2/3rds. Sprinkle
a little of the leftover nuts on top of each one and bake for approximately
15-20 minutes. They are ready when turning golden brown and a skewer
comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a wire rack to cool.
These taste best warm, as they cool the coffee flavour lessens.